Thursday, September 13, 2012

Our Living Room & Toy Organization

Why can't I be one of those moms where when I look about our living room strewn with toys everywhere, I happily, joyfully, and peacefully smile to myself and say, "a child lives here."  Well, actually, I do that sometimes.  But then there are other times I just.get.tired.of.seeing.toys.everywhere.  We sometimes, we go for days, weeks? where the toys don't get put away, and lately they seem to be multiplying.  And when they do get put away, they're really not "put away", they're just pushed to the side of the room, piled high in numerous baskets.



I admit it.  I need a clean, clear space sometimes- an adult living room, free of kid clutter.  To achieve that goal, I recently added two toy boxes to the room.   Here's a good example of what it looked like before the toy boxes.









And after clearing the space and putting in the toy boxes, I had room to move the leather chair from our sitting room to the living room.   










I completely lucked out that the toy boxes I chose fit perfectly beside our built-in media center.  And we chose the soft white color, which blends in nicely.  





There is enough room for James to get back there and access his toys and we even have a big basket behind the chair with stuffed animals. 










We have one on the left side too.  If you're interested, the toy box is called Sauder Shoal Creek Storage Chest.  It has a safety lid (that will remain open until you close it) and space for little fingers. The dimensions are 35.2 W x 15.2 D x 18.9 H.  It did require assembly, but was relatively easy to put together.  










We still keep the big toys between the back of the couch and the window, but that's okay with me.  For the most part, I think the toddler and parents can both enjoy the living room now. 









But don't worry, we aren't afraid to get dirty- outside!















* * * * *