Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Getting Organized for Back to School (Household Calendar)

As I sit down on Monday night to write this post, I'm relaxed from a long weekend and energized about a productive day earlier today.  James is clean and sleeping, the fridge is stocked with healthy food, the house is clean, laundry is folded and put away, the backpack and lunch are packed, and we await the "first day of school" tomorrow.  He's got a new pair of tennis shoes and a few new shirts, but we'll wait until it gets cooler to buy more clothes.



James goes to a wonderful preschool part-time.  I had a hard time calling it "school" since he's so young (2 1/2), but when I realized how much he's learning each day, I got over it.  This year, I volunteered to be one of the homeroom moms and am happy to share the responsibility with another mother/friend I met last year.









In any household, there are appointments, parties to attend, chores to do, sporting practices/games, and a host of endless activities and events to keep track of- especially if there are multiple kids.  I couldn't keep up without jotting down all those commitments in our household calendar.  The calendar used to hang on our chalk wall (before it was a chalk wall), but I recently relocated it to front and center in our kitchen so that I can reference it easier.  There's not too much on it yet, but things have a way of popping up. 









I like it here so much better!  I guess I could input all the data into the calendar on my iphone or computer, but I'm old school and like the paper calendar version.  I even have a paper calendar for my blog posts and projects:) 



The calendar simply hangs from the backslash on a Command hook.  I've used this hook before and it didn't damage the backsplash at all when I removed it. 







Our calendar is from Paper Source, the 17-month Watercolor Calendar (Aug 2012 - Dec 2013).  I like the pop of color in the month, and that it's bright white for writing notes.  I try to write neatly in it, but don't stress over it.  It's more important to just get the information on the right date:)  If you wanted to step it up, you could color code recurring appointments or, if you have more than one child, each kid's appointment could get its own color.



You can go HERE to see all of the Paper Source calendars, they have a great selection.



Do y'all use a calendar like this for keeping track of important dates?  Another system?



*** Oh my gosh! I had finished writing this post and was catching up on one of my favorite blogs, which prompted me to another blog, where I read THIS post.  So funny and real and funny!!  I had to come back and update this post since it deals with the household calendar!***




*  *  *  *  * 





The Quality Bath $75 GIVEAWAY winner will be announced tomorrow.  Go HERE to enter.





* * * * *