Tuesday, November 15, 2011

DIY {$20 No Sew Curtain Liners}

Y'all know I'm not the greatest DIYer out there, so if I did it myself, you can too!  A few weeks ago I bought fabric to have drapes made for our dining room.  I had a seamstress make them, and she did a great job, however, in my haste, I measured wrong (too long) and did not buy fabric for her to line them with.  I guess I thought I could skip that step, but once they were hung, I realized they really needed to be lined because the fabric is a loose weave, and you could see the blinds through them during the day.





See what I mean?  Ug!


I wanted a cheap, quick solution, so I made a curtain liner out of a twin-sized Target bed sheets.  I think they were $10 each.  Last time I bought fabric liner from Joann's, I think it was $5 a yard on sale.  These sheets are thin, so if you want a heavier liner, I'd go with a thicker fabric.




The twin sheet width was wide enough to cover the width of the curtains, but about a foot too short (we have 10-foot ceilings in this room).  Since the window doesn't go all the way to the floor, you can't tell that the liner doesn't extend all the way to the floor.




I lay the sheet on top of the drapes and used no-sew tape to iron the pieces together.  I started along the top, then did each side, leaving the bottom alone. 




 Voila! 




I also "no sewed" the hem to make the drapes the proper length.  Much better!  


*******
If you haven't yet entered the Whimsy Lane Giveaway, go HERE to enter.


If you haven't yet entered the Pickle Doodle Designs Giveaway, go HERE to enter.


Both winners will be announced on Saturday, November 19, 2011.