Tuesday, February 5, 2013

How I Keep My House Plants Alive

I should preface this post by saying that I've never been able to keep plants alive for long until I bought this variety that, even I, can keep alive with very low maintenance.  It's just one of those basic "closet plants" that I think I found at Wal-Mart. Any of you know the actual name?









I've managed to keep two of these plants alive and thriving for over six months- probably a record for me.  I don't know if this is technically the best way, but it seems to work for my plants:  I wait until they are drooping about like the photo below before I water them.










Then I take the plant (in it's plastic container) out of the ceramic pot and water it generously (letting the soil get a good soak) in the bathtub and let the water drain out the holes in the bottom.  









In about an hour, my plant is all perky again!














I do the same thing with the plant by our front door, except this one goes into the kitchen sink. 










Do you have plant watering tips?





* * * * *